group meeting schedule (You need a Gmail account to be able to view this)
sign-up to reserve an instrument: (You need a Gmail account to be able to view this)
• Steady-state photoluminescence apparatus with TE-cooled CCD detector (Ocean Optics QE-65Pro) covering wavelength range 350-1000nm, with 0.4 nm resolution.
• Raman microscope (Renishaw inVia), inverted stage with 532 nm and 785 nm excitation sources.
• Fluorescence and Phosphorescence spectrometer with red-enhanced photomultiplier (Perkin-Elmer LS 50B) for acquisition of excitation and emission data to 950nm.
• Fluorescence plate reader (Molecular Devices Gemini XPS) dual-monochromator microplate spectrofluorometer).
• Absorbance plate reader (Molecular Devices Spectramax 340Pc384) Microplate Spectrophotometer.
• Fluorescence microscope (Nikon LV-150) coupled with a SpectraPro 275 scanning monochromator, relevant filter cubes, tungsten and mercury illumination lamps.
• DLS: Dynamic Light Scattering/Zeta potential apparatus (Malvern Instruments Zetasizer Nano with Multi Purpose Titrator)
• FTIR: Fourier-Transform Infrared spectrometer with attenuated total reflectance (ATR) attachment (Nicolet 6700 with Smart-iTR). Liquid nitrogen-cooled MCT-A detector; spectral range 600-11,7000 wavenumbers. Diamond ATR crystal
• Reflectance spectrometers (Ocean Optics USB-2000 and USB-4000), fiber optic attachments, microscope optics, and light sources for acquisition of optical reflectivity and Fabry-Perot interference data. Spectral wavelength range 400-1000 nm.
• Ceramic tube furnace capable of controlled-atmosphere heating of samples to 1000 °C.
• High-output Ozone Generator (Ozone Solutions, product ID OZV-8).
• Muffle furnace for atmospheric oxidation of samples to 1000 °C.
• Computer-controlled (LABVIEW) gas-dosing apparatus, consisting of a Teflon gas-dosing chamber fitted with a transparent optical window and gas mixer/mass-flow controller (Cole-Parmer) systems. The software and mass flow controllers can handle various low volatility, high volatility, toxic, corrosive, and flammable analytes.
• Electrochemical etching apparatus (Keithley 2601 Sourcemeter).
• Electrochemical etching apparatus, high current (Keithley 2651 Sourcemeter) with maximum current output of 50 Amp.
• Electrochemical etching apparatus(KEPCO ATE) analog etch rig.
• Aqueous flow cells for biomolecule dosing.
• Microfluidizer (Microfluidics) for preparation of particle formulations.
GOOGLE DRIVE group-only information (software programs for working up data, reference files, published papers, PhD theses, internal forms)
Group members need to request access to this information from MJS.
Award and Fellowship Opportunities
SCCAVS Elmer Carvey Memorial Scholarship -- For undergraduate studies at any public four-year college in California, i.e. California State University or University of California. The stipend is $1,500 and may be used for tuition.
NSF Graduate Research Fellowships -- For graduate studies at any college or university in the US. Applicant must be a US citizen.
NIH Research Training Fellowships -- For undergraduate, graduate, and post-doctoral studies. Applicant must be a US citizen.
UC San Diego Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellowship Program -- UC San Diego awards up to two Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellowships each year to qualified scholars whose research, teaching, and service will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity.
UC President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program -- University of California Systemwide awards Postdoctoral Fellowships each year to outstanding women and minority Ph.D. recipients to pursue academic careers at the
University of California
The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans -- The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans supports immigrants and children of immigrants who are pursuing graduate school full-time in any field and at any advanced degree-granting institution in the United States. Student must be 30 or younger and be the child of immigrants or someone who is a DACA recipient, green card holder or a naturalized citizen.
Cancer Therapeutics Training (CT2) Program -- an NIH-funded training program in cancer therapeutic development. This program accepts both PhD, and MD post-doctoral researchers. Must be United States citizen, noncitizen national or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence by the time of appointment .